Monday, October 29, 2012

The Dreamer Teaser


The Dreamer

Preface:


It wasn't until just now that I was absolutely sure I was being followed. Although I didn't dare look back to see who it was. I was sure it was a man, I could smell the scent of his cologne on the breeze. The night air chilled me to the bone. I pulled my jacket tighter around me and picked up the pace, hoping to round the corner knowing I could hide in the alley beyond this street. My breathing picked up it's pace.

Come on Raine, keep it together, just a few more feet, and maybe, he won't find you.”

I thought all of this in my head, as I rounded the corner into the alley, then ducked quickly into the alcove and sucked in a quick ragged breath, so as to make as little noise as possible. I listened very carefully as the footsteps grew closer, dangerously close and stopped, just feet from where I stood. I could hear him breathing, my own lungs about to burst with the effort of holding it so long, I heard him take a step, was that a step in my direction? No, couldn't be. But there was no sense lying to myself, it certainly was. He was coming closer, I heard him sniffing, almost as though he were smelling something, my perfume? I was sure I hadn't put any on in my haste to leave the house this evening. All of a sudden my lungs could no longer bear the lack of oxygen and I sucked in a loud breath, and there he was, right in front of me. His face partially obscured in shadow. The only thing I could make out was those eyes. Those sickeningly frightening eyes. Pitch black at the edges with what appeared to be flames where any other trace of color should be. It was then that I screamed. I bolted upright in my bed and looked around at the familiar scene before me. My dresser, my own room, my mother running in with a wild look on her face.

"Raine! What is it?"
Seeing the sheens of sweat across my forehead she asks,

"Another dream huh?"

"Yeah, mom."

"Bad one I see."

"Very"

I shake my head to try to clear my head of the remnants of the nightmare.

she hugs me close to her.

"maybe this one wasn't real Raine, maybe it is just getting to you, maybe this time there is no-one to save, maybe..."


Chapter 1

It was then that I had to interrupt my mom. As well meaning as she was, I knew she was wrong.

"Mom, you and I both know it has never been that way. There is always someone, somewhere, some problem that needs to be solved. Some evil that must be overcome. Otherwise I wouldn't have been given these.... gifts."

Ever since I can remember I have had the dreams. Nightmares is a more accurate description. They come and go, and until recently that's all they were is dreams. But not long after my sixteenth birthday I started noticing some changes. Like a power growing inside me. I prayed about it. I didn't understand. This is something my pastor had never covered at Church and though I had spoken to him of the dreams he just dismissed it and said he would pray for me, though it never seemed to changed anything. Anyway, after my sixteenth birthday, this power and strength began to grow and I noticed I could do things. like push things with my mind and fire would come from my fingertips and the palms of my hands. So whenever these dreams would come, when they would actually happen in real life, whoever was in danger, or whatever the threat was, it was quickly obliterated. I had never needed any help. But I had also never seen a monster like what I saw in this dream. It was not like the usual fare, vampires, werewolves and the like. This was something much more sinister, something much more evil. I don't even know where to begin, demonic doesn't even begin to cover what I felt in this dream. It was much more. I was going to need help, but who, what, even my preacher, didn't know how to help me with just the normal dreams. Who could I turn to?

My mom just sat there quietly while I pondered all of this in my head, as she was used to my quiet moments after my dreams. She knew I would need a few moments to think it over and decide what the best course of action would be. When the dazed look was gone from my face she asked me the obvious questions.

"How bad is it?"

"Bad, mom"

I've always been honest with my mom about my gifts, and the danger involved and she has always been very accepting knowing God has blessed me and accepting that nothing would happen that God hadn't set ahead of time, and that he would help me and keep me safe.

"Well, do you have any idea of what and when?"

"No, nothing yet, Just an image of the, well I don't really know what he is. Just that I have never seen anything like him before, and I know that I am going to need help. But I don't know who or what form that help is supposed to come in. I have never met anyone else like me mom. I am not sure what to do about this but to wait, pray, and see where it leads."

"Ok Raine, You know best, with your gifts and your abilities, I won't question your judgment on this as long as you remain guided down the right path, just go with your heart and don't rely just on yourself."

"Never mom, I know better. I have to get ready for school now. I don't want to be late. Has dad left for work yet?"

"Yes, about a half hour ago. I need to get your brother up. He should've been up ten minutes ago."

"Ok, Thanks mom. You know, you're the best, I don't know that any other mom could be so calm and understanding about all this."

"Raine, this is your lot in life, and if you're strong enough to do what God has set out for you to do, then I am strong enough to be there for you."

While mom set out to get Xander up for school, I headed to the shower to start my day. While I got ready, I thought more about my dream, remembering those eyes and the way they seemed to be on fire, blazing away with fiery flames like the very pits of Hell itself. And I wondered, what kind of evil could he possibly be?

No comments:

Post a Comment